Saturday, September 24, 2011

'Grandma' - how does it feel?

I've never had grandparents.  One set died of old age before I was born and the others were murdered by the Hungarian Arrow Cross when I was six months old.  Many of my childhood friends, including my cousins, missed parents or grandparents because of WWII.

Tunde, on the other hand, had a close, loving and very special relationship with my mother, who died suddenly when he was 9 years old. I don't think he ever got over it and he wants to recreate his experience for his son.  The trouble is, I don't have any idea of what he expects of me.

So, I am in a unique situation. I can invent my role as grandmother from scratch. Now, that's an awesome task.  Many of my friends and relatives have become devoted grandparents.  Some are regular babysitters, providing effective free daycare, others are less hands on. Very few are long-distance grannies like me. It will be interesting to to see how this relationship can work. Maybe someone out there has a similar experience with some advice?

No comments: